Arsenal announce Unai Emery as head coach
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Football’s worst kept secret is out – Arsenal have officially confirmed Unai Emery will become the club’s new head coach.
The former PSG boss joins the club after completing a two-year spell in Paris, winning the treble of Ligue 1, Coupe de France and the Coupe de la Ligue, to go with his victories in the Coupe de France and Coupe de la Ligue the year before.
Unai, 46, had spent three years with Sevilla, leading them to a trio of Europa League titles.
Chief executive Ivan Gazidis said: “Unai has an outstanding track record of success throughout his career, has developed some of the best young talent in Europe and plays an exciting, progressive style of football that fits Arsenal perfectly.
“His hard-working and passionate approach and his sense of values on and off the pitch make him the ideal person to take us forward.
You may also want to watch:
“We conducted a confidential, wide-ranging and rigorous search involving extensive background references, data and video analysis, and personal meetings with all the candidates we shortlisted. All were interested in the position and we were unanimous in our choice of Unai to drive the next chapter of our history.”
See the Islington Gazette website and Layth’s Twitter feed for live reaction from Emery’s official unveiling at the Emirates from 2pm today.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 6 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 7 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 8 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 9 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 10 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder