Arsenal appoint highly-rated Australian goalkeeping coach Chris Terpcou as Per Mertesacker continues academy revolution
- Credit: Arsenal FC via Getty Images
An Australian goalkeeping coach credited with the rise of highly-rated England U21 goalkeeper Freddie Woodman has been headhunted from Newcastle to join the Per Mertesacker academy revolution.
Chris Terpcou has been lured to the Gunners revamped youth set-up after working with the North East club’s U23 keepers.
The Aussie Terpcou had been helping rising star Woodman, whose father Andy worked in the Newcastle academy before he became goalkeeping coach for the talented collection of young keepers at Arsenal in the U18 to U23 age groups.
Terpcou will now work under Woodman senior at London Colney after a significant overhaul of the system in recent months following the departures of Steve Gatting and Carl Laraman after allegations were levelled at them.
Terpcou’s arrival appointment is the latest in a raft of changes made since Per Mertesacker stepped up to his role as head of the Arsenal Academy following his retirement from first-team football at the end of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Former German FA coach Marcel Lucassen and Lee Herron have been added to Mertesacker’s team as heads of coach and player development and academy football operations.
Earlier this month the much-loved former Arsenal Invincible Freddie Ljungberg – who won two Premier League titles – was appointed head coach of the U23s.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'