Arsenal defender Sokratis says Gunners aren’t ‘stupid’ after disappointing Wolves defeat
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal defender Sokratis has said the side are ‘not stupid’ and know they ‘didn’t play well’ after a disppointing 3-1 defeat against Wolves at Molinuex on Wednesday night.
Goals from Ruben Neves, Matt Doherty and Diogo Jota condemned the Gunners to defeat in the west Midlands, despite Sokratis grabbing a late consolation.
The Greek centre-half spoke candidly about the defeat, and called for Unai Emery’s men to take maximum points from their remaining games in a bid to secure a top four place, and Champions League football for next season.
“I think we lost some easy balls,” he said.
“We already knew that they were a very good team on the counter-attack but for 20 or 25 minutes we were playing well. We had control of the game, possession of the ball, but they played very well on the counter-attack.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s not time to find excuses. We have to look at the next three games where we need to win all three to get nine points.
“We’ll see if we can be in the top four. I trust my team 100 per cent, all of the players. I think we can do it.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
“There’s not a bad mentality - we won two away games in the last 10 days. But we all take responsibility.
“We’re not stupid and we know that we didn’t play well. We now have three chances and we have to win all the games.
“Of course we get angry. The players want to play in the Champions League, we like winning and we want to be there. It’s not easy.
“Today was a bad moment for us. We cannot change it now because the game is finished, so now we look towards the next game.
“It’s a difficult game. We know that now the chance could go, so we have to take the three points in all three games. I hope that we win on Sunday.”