EUROPA LEAGUE Arsenal 2-0 Napoli: Unai Emery’s superb Gunners clinch victory after dominant performance
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal beat Napoli at the Emirates on Thursday. Read on for Layth Yousif’s match report.
Arsenal beat Napoli 2-0 in the first leg of the Europa League quarter-finals.
First half goals from Aaron Ramsey and a deflected strike by Lucas Torreira off Kalidou Koulibaly gave the Gunners a crucial victory.
Arsenal look in good shape to reach the Europa League semi-finals after a stunning pereformance eclipsed Carlo Ancelotti’s Napoli in the last-eight tie.
Aaron Ramsey slotted home Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ pass to round-up off a flowing team move involving Mesut Ozil and Alex Lacazette to put Unai Emery’s side 1-0 ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Kalidou Koulibaly then scored an own goal after Torreira’s strike deflected off him to wrongfoot goalkeeper Alex Meret.
Napoli, who are second in Serie A, albeit 20 points behind leaders Juventus, host the Gunners in the second leg next Thursday at the San Paolo Stadium.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 6 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 9 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29. Layth will be in Naples for the second leg along with Dan Mountney @JournoDanM