EUROPA LEAGUE Arsenal 2-0 Napoli: Unai Emery’s superb Gunners clinch victory after dominant performance
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal beat Napoli at the Emirates on Thursday. Read on for Layth Yousif’s match report.
Arsenal beat Napoli 2-0 in the first leg of the Europa League quarter-finals.
First half goals from Aaron Ramsey and a deflected strike by Lucas Torreira off Kalidou Koulibaly gave the Gunners a crucial victory.
Arsenal look in good shape to reach the Europa League semi-finals after a stunning pereformance eclipsed Carlo Ancelotti’s Napoli in the last-eight tie.
Aaron Ramsey slotted home Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ pass to round-up off a flowing team move involving Mesut Ozil and Alex Lacazette to put Unai Emery’s side 1-0 ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Kalidou Koulibaly then scored an own goal after Torreira’s strike deflected off him to wrongfoot goalkeeper Alex Meret.
Napoli, who are second in Serie A, albeit 20 points behind leaders Juventus, host the Gunners in the second leg next Thursday at the San Paolo Stadium.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29. Layth will be in Naples for the second leg along with Dan Mountney @JournoDanM