Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger insists he will not leave Emirates until 2019 – at the earliest
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has announced he will not leave the club before the end of his contract – and perhaps beyond that.
The long-serving Frenchman speaking ahead of the Premier League match at Bournemouth on Sunday, insisted he will continue at the Emirates until the end of next season – at the very earliest.
In news which will disappoint a large number of Arsenal fans who want him to leave, the man who has bossed the Gunners since 1996 is adamant he won’t be going anywhere until 2019.
Changes in the club’s support staff, and persistent speculation Carlo Ancelotti is being lined-up behind the scenes to take over, have failed to unsettle Wenger.
In a bid to avoid the destabilising uncertainty which enveloped the North London giants last season after his refusal to publicly announce he would commit to another contract Wenger removed all doubt by saying he will be staying at the club.
He announced: “I am always committed. I am here for 21 years.
“So in every single decision I make what is right for the club. Do I stay for one year or ten years it is exactly the same.
- 1 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 4 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 5 Covid patients in north London hospitals with Plan B rules set to lift
- 6 Emma Thompson and Sir Ian McKellen line up to play Whodunnit detectives
- 7 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 8 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 9 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 10 Would you feed your dog a plant-based diet?
“Is it is me in charge or somebody else you can only do what is best for club. That is what you try to do. That has nothing to do with my personal situation.”
Wenger added: “My contract clarifies that. Did I ever walk away? Never. Why should I change?”
To join the discussion visit our new Arsenal Facebook page.