Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette can play up front together
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsene Wenger has hinted that star strikers Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette can lead the line together for Arsenal.
Arsenal beat Stoke 3-0 on Sunday thanks to a late brace from Aubameyang and an 89th minute penalty from the returning Lacazette.
The Frenchman’s introduction on the hour mark appeared to provide a real spark for the Gunners against a Stoke side fighting for their lives in the Premier League.
Aubameyang drifted out to the left when the former Lyon striker came on for his first appearance since February 10.
And the pair proved they are more than happy to play together when the Gabon striker gave Lacazette the penalty when he himself was on a hat-trick.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking following the final whistle, at the Emirates, Wenger suggested that Aubameyang may be deployed on the left in the future to accommodate his striking partner as he is used to playing there.
Wenger said: “I think Aubameyang had played a long part of his career on the left in Saint-Etienne.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
“And in the first two years I think when Robert Lewandowski was at Borussia Dortmund, he played on the left. After Lewandowski moved to Bayern Munich, he played central.”
On Sunday, Arsenal recorded back-to-back Premier league victories for the first time since November.
The victory keeps them sixth in the top flight ahead of their Europa League quarter-final first-leg against CSKA Moscow on Thursday night.