Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: Transcript of his London Colney press conference
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Read the transcript of what Arsene Wenger had to say on all things Arsenal during his press conference at London Colney on Thursday.
On Alexis Sanchez and his future:
“I had no doubt about Alexis’ mentality.
“He needs to come back to full fitness which he was not at Liverpool. He’s strong mentally and hopefully will be quickly back to his best.
“I believe the market is over and there was a lot going on on that front.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s very difficult for me to answer [about his future]
On players returning from the International break and injuries:
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 8 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 9 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 10 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
“Sanchez, Ospina and Ramsey are coming back today.
“At the moment we have no injuries, everyone is coming back quite well.
“Wilshere is getting stronger every day.
“I haven’t decided who will be in the squad [for Bournemouth].
“He still needs fitness work, but he’s getting better and better.
On Liverpool humiliation:
If it makes you happy that I suffer, I can tell you that you can be very happy.
We have the opportunity to show that was an accident. There are teams not far from us who want to win the championship.
We need to analyse well and respond well. We didn’t perform.
On dealing with criticism:
“What’s important is to focus on what’s in front of you.
“We had a performance like that a few years ago at Liverpool, we played them again one game later and beat them at the Emirates.
“Our performance was not good enough but sport sport. I love my players and I believe in my players.
“We want our fans behind the team. They can come to quick conclusions or they can see what’s happening and stand behind the team and that’s what we want.
On Saturday’s match with Bournemouth:
“The best way to win is to perform.
“It’s not a decision to not perform and to win.
“We have an opportunity to show we are strong and united.
On Mesut Ozil:
“I had always a problem to understand what is a legend.
“They had their weak games and their weak behaviours as well.
“We have to take a distance with that and focus on our performance.
“We are always very thankful of what they have done, but what matters is the players on the pitch.”
On last week’s work
“We focused on what we wanted to do but many players were away.
“It was the transfer market so I was very busy.
“We should close all that stuff before the Championship starts.
“It’s not the way to work, it’s uncomfortable and every single manager in the league would agree it’s time to kick that out before the season starts.
“We can’t have players who are half out and half in.
On Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain:
“We wish him all the best and are thankful for what he’s done.
“Overall I believe today we are in a good financial situation.
“Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is a great player, but sometimes this opens the door for players like Nelson and Joe Willock.
“There are some secrets that need to be respected.