Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: We showed character during 3-2 victory at Crystal Palace
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal beat Crystal Palace 3-2 at Selhurst Park on Thursday evening with a Shkodran Mustafi first half strike and two goals from wantaway striker Alexis Sanchez. Read the transcript of what Arsene Wenger had to say in his post-match press conference.
On Arsenal’s victory
Overall I think it was a very good, positive performance. We were fluid going forward and controlled the game well. At half-time it was 1-0, but it should have been more and then of course at some stage the home team who fights against relegation will come at you, and we started well in the second half in the first five minutes. I thought we had two good chances and after it was just down to 1-1, then we showed resources and character, were leading 3-1 and controlled the game quite well, but at 3-2 we became quite nervy again and we finished in a bit of a less controlled way, but overall it was a good team performance.
On Jack Wilshere and Alexis Sanchez
They are always questioned – people when they don’t have long contracts – but the best way to show that they are committed is to deliver that kind of performance. For Jack I think we spoke about him recently, he’s coming back in a good competitive shape and I feel that he gives something to the team at the moment that is very interesting. On top of that today he gave a great final ball that you want from him.
You may also want to watch:
Did Alexis go to Paris over Christmas
That’s true. We had two days off on the 24th and 25th that was public, but he did not go to Chile. He met his family somewhere but not in Chile.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
On Wilshere’s contract
The situation is that we will sit down with him. The beginning of January it’s planned.
Has there been a delay?
There is no delay, I said we would sort out the situation in December at the end. I told him that we want to meet and sit down with him to talk about the future. That’s what I did, but now we play today, Sunday and Wednesday, so at the moment the focus has to be on the game. At the beginning of January we will [sit down].
On Alexis’ performance
I felt he was very good tonight, from the first minute on he was focused, he was simple again. This kind of Alexis is a good player, we know him and that’s the kind of performance you want from him.
On Alexis’ long-term commitment
First of all nobody knows what will happen and it’s always difficult to speculate. At the moment we are focused on the short term, the short term is win the next game with the players who are committed and ready to fight. It’s not a guarantee how long you will stay somewhere – as long you are somewhere you give your best.