Arsenal boss Unai Emery confirms Bernd Leno will make debut against Vorskla
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has revealed he will hand Bernd Leno his debut against Vorskla in the Europa League.
The Gunners start their Europa League campaign at the Emirates on Thursday night and Emery confirmed he will rest Petr Cech.
The 26-year-old Leno, who signed from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer for a fee in the region of £19 million had been expected to start the campaign as the No1 choice but has yet to play a minute so far.
Emery has instead selected veteran Cech this term while implementing a new tactical style which involves playing the ball out from the back.
German international Leno made more than 300 appearances for Leverkusen in seven years for the Bundelisga outfit but it is claimed Leno made an error which led to a goal in a behind-closed-doors friendly with Brentford which made Emery doubt his signing.
You may also want to watch:
However, Emery has forgiven Leno, insisting the keeper will play.
Speaking at London Colney Emery said: “Bernd Leno is going to play in the starting XI,” said Arsenal’s head coach.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
“In our planning for the goalkeeper, we spoke with Javi Garcia, the goalkeeper coach, and we need to give Leno the chances to get some minutes.
The quality for the goalkeeper is confidence and he has that,” said Emery. “He is going to start and he can go a long way here in Arsenal. He is young and he is here because he showed us his quality.”
Stephan Lichsteiner, Danny Welbeck and Mohamed Elneny are all in contention to start against the Ukrainians.
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29