Arsenal boss Unai Emery: I’m very happy with Joe Willock and Eddie Nketiah
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Unai Emery has hailed his talented young guns after an emphatic victory at Bloomfield Road. Read on for what he said.
A Joe Willock brace and an Alex Iwobi strike put Arsenal in the hat for the fourth round of the FA Cup after a lively 3-0 victory against Blackpool.
There was plenty of drama off-the-pitch prior to the cup game at a Bloomfield Road, sadly evocative in name only these days under its current ownership by the controversial Oyston family.
An open letter from Blackpool fans explaining why they were ‘adopting an ethical boycott’ for their FA Cup match with the Gunners circulated widely before the game calling their side a ‘club in crisis’.
However Emery was diplomatic after the match saying: “We know [there were] some problems here but we have respect for [Blackpool] supporters, for the club, for the team and for this competition...I am very proud of the players today for our work. Very good concentration. Our quality. I am very happy.
You may also want to watch:
“We need players with commitment,” added Emery. “We need players who are prepared for when the team needs them and they can step up.
“Opportunities are coming in matches like today. We mixed experienced players in the squad with some young players like Joe, Eddie (Nketiah), Ainsley (Maitland-Niles).
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 4 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
“It was a good combination. They can show us they are progressing with the team and showed their passion. They work hard and concentrate for when we need help like today. I’m very happy with Willock, also with Eddie.”