Arsenal coach Unai Emery targets Real Betis defender Junior Firpo as replacement for Nacho Monreal
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Speculation is rising over Nacho Monreal’s future at Arsenal as reports from Spain indicate new boss Unai Emery is lining up a replacement for the 32-year-old.
The popular Spaniard impressed last term when supplementing the Gunners attack by netting five goals in twenty-eight Premier League appearances with two assists – his highest tally for Gunners.
With only one year left on his contract rumours are rising Real Sociedad coach Aiser Garitano is keen on the former Malaga player.
Fan’s favourite Nacho’s versatilty has seen him feature at left-back, as well as a left-sided wing-back or on the left of a back three.
Arsenal boss Emery, who met with fans this week at the Emirates, is reported to be intersted in Real Betis’ left-back Junior Firpo to replace the former Osasuna defender in North London.
You may also want to watch:
Spainish newspaper AS is reporting the highly-rated La Liga teenager is firmly on the former Sevilla coach’s radar.
Firpo, 19, rose through the ranks of the Andalusian club’s B team before his first debut in February.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
Firpo still has three years left on his contract, however he does have a buy-out clause of £22 million according to AS – which Emery could activate before the end of the transfer window on Thursday, August 9.
Follow Arsenal writer Max on Twitter @Mahoneysmessage