Arsenal boss Unai Emery says: My squad is complete – at the moment
- Credit: Archant
New Arsenal head coach Unai Emery held his first press conference at the club’s training headquarters London Colney. Read on for the Islington Gazette’s Gunners reporter Layth Yousif report.
Unai Emery gave his first press conference at London Colney as the North London giants new head coach after a busy summer in the transfer market so far – insisting he is satisfied with his squad.
The former PSG boss – who took over from former long-serving manager Arsene Wenger in May after fevered speculation – insisted his has the squad to compete at the top of English football.
The club has been busy landing goalkeeper Bernd Leno, centre-half Sokratis, defensive midfielder Lucas Torreira, as well as Swiss national captain Stephan Lichtsteiner as well as 19-year-old French prodigy Matteo Guendouzi.
Speaking in English – which, while can be described as a work in progress, has still shown an excellent improvement from his unveiling at the Emirates in May, after intensive lessons this summer – spoke at length about his squad.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We signed the players who we needed and only if one player is a big opportunity for us will we sign them.
“Normally, we are thinking about the young players, the possibility of them staying with us or going to play on loan at another team.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
“We are also thinking about the players who were with us last year and whether we need them to stay with us.
“At the moment, I think the squad is complete.
“We will only sign another player if there is an opportunity to bring in that one player, or two players. We will only sign a player in the next month if he’s a big opportunity.”
Follow Gunners reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29 and join the Islington Gazette Arsenal Facebook page for more.