Arsenal boss Unai Emery: We need to show our supporters we are excited for the Europa League
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Unai Emery wants to draw fans back to the Emirates for Europa League matches after a low turnout for the Gunners’ 4-2 victory over FC Vorskla Poltava.
The Emirates was littered with empty seats as Arsenal romped to a 4-0 lead over the Ukranians, before fans trickled down the exits in the final 15-minutes as Vorskla grabbed two late consolations.
However, the competition’s joint most successful manager - lifting the cup three times with Sevilla - is determined to convince Gunners fans that Thursday night games are worth their time.
Speaking after the game, Emery said: “We need to show our supporters we are excited for this competition.
“We want to go a great way in this Europa League.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s step by step, I am sure more are going to come little by little.
“It’s our job to bring them here.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Arsenal’s next European night in North London will see the Gunners host Sporting Lisbon, after travelling to Qarabag FK and the Portuguese capital in Group E.