Arsenal boss Wenger: Jack Wilshere needs to stay injury-free to play for England
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Read the transcript of Arsene Wenger’s post-match reaction after drawing 0-0 with Red Star Belgrade, including his views on Jack Wilshere not being picked for the England squad for the forthcoming matches against Germany and Brazil.
Red Star Belgrade a difficult side to break down...
Yes, I think they started stronger than us. They played very well, Red Star. They played at a high pace and were always dangerous on the breaks and they defended very well. In the second half I felt we dominated much more the possession, played in one half. But we lacked a bit quality in the final ball, the vision to find the right space. Overall, I would say it is was 0-0 result.
On Jack Wilshere being left out of the England squad...
He needs these kinds of games to come back to his best level and what Jack needs is to be injury-free for long a period until the end of the season and get games like that. I believe he could have been involved but he is not so maybe if he keeps his fitness, maybe next time.
You may also want to watch:
Arsene disappointed with boos at the final whistle..?
No. No, no, no. People I think supported the team. In the end, we did not see goals. They are not used to not seeing goals at the Emirates so for us it is frustrating as well when you don’t score. But overall we have an understand as well that there were many young players in the team and I think that is part, for them, of the learning process to play these kinds of games.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
Happy with rotation policy...?
We made in four games ten points so overall I believe it is good if I can combine both. You could see it against Red Star. It was a very intense game. And with the number of games you play - we want to play in every single competition - I think yes, I will continue at the moment.