Arsenal boss Wenger: ‘Mature’ Jack Wilshere isn’t on his way back – he is back
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has hailed Jack Wilshere after another superb performance this in after he also scored his first goal for the club for two years in the 6-0 Europa League rout of BATE Borisov.
Wilshere has been in excellent form during the Gunners European campaign this term after they topped Group with four wins, one draw and a single defeat in Cologne when they had already qualified for the knock-out stages.
With the clamour growing for the Hitchin-reared 25-year-old creative midfielder to start a Premier League match a delighted Wenger praised his player, saying:
“You will see more of him – now I would not even say he is coming back – he is back.
“The next step is for him to be competitive in the Premier League and to fight for his place in the team. He will get games, he will get the opportunity to show that Jack Wilshere is back.
You may also want to watch:
“I would say this is the most mature Wilshere I have seen, in the game and outside the game. He is not excessive, he has taken a distance from the pressure that was always around him.
“He is a special talent and since he was 17 all the attention in the country was on him. He has gone through huge disappointments, but now he is a father and a happy father.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
“You can see he thinks with a different perspective and I personally feel this is the most mature, balanced Wilshere I have seen.”