Arsenal boss Wenger: ‘Mature’ Jack Wilshere isn’t on his way back – he is back
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has hailed Jack Wilshere after another superb performance this in after he also scored his first goal for the club for two years in the 6-0 Europa League rout of BATE Borisov.
Wilshere has been in excellent form during the Gunners European campaign this term after they topped Group with four wins, one draw and a single defeat in Cologne when they had already qualified for the knock-out stages.
With the clamour growing for the Hitchin-reared 25-year-old creative midfielder to start a Premier League match a delighted Wenger praised his player, saying:
“You will see more of him – now I would not even say he is coming back – he is back.
“The next step is for him to be competitive in the Premier League and to fight for his place in the team. He will get games, he will get the opportunity to show that Jack Wilshere is back.
“I would say this is the most mature Wilshere I have seen, in the game and outside the game. He is not excessive, he has taken a distance from the pressure that was always around him.
“He is a special talent and since he was 17 all the attention in the country was on him. He has gone through huge disappointments, but now he is a father and a happy father.
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 3 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 4 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 5 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 6 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 7 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
- 8 Incinerator protest group WhatsApp infiltrated by waste authority member
- 9 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 10 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
“You can see he thinks with a different perspective and I personally feel this is the most mature, balanced Wilshere I have seen.”