Arsenal boss Wenger on Alex Iwobi, Chelsea team and injury news, Alexis Sanchez and much more
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsene Wenger has been speaking on Alex Iwobi, Alexis Sanchez future and injury news ahead of the crucial Carabao Cup semi-final first leg against Chelsea on Wednesday evening. Read on for a transcript of what he said at London Colney on Tuesday morning.
Wenger on Sunday’s humiliating defeat at Nottingham Forest
We want to respond. It’s a different game, a semi-final. An important game against a big team.
Injuries and team news
We don’t recover anyone. On Sunday we paid the price of having many injured players. [No new player availability] For tomorrow no, for Sunday [against Bournemouth], I don’t think so.
You may also want to watch:
Granit Xhaka has a test today, we will see how he comes through. Mustafi as well. I will know more after training
Wenger on being criticised
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
I focus on football. What is important is what happens on the pitch. You have to live with judgement. We have produced some great performances recently.
The long-running saga of Alexis Sanchez’s future
[Have Manchester City been in touch?] No
Do you expect him to stay?
I expect nothing. I’m focused on tomorrow’s game. When things happen you respond, but at the moment it’s very quiet. I have not decided [if Sanchez will play at Chelsea] yet. I will decide tomorrow
Any news on the contract situations of Jack Wilshere and Mesut Ozil?
No news, we are working on it. When we have news we will get back to you.
On capturing Jonny Evans
[I have] nothing to say. As long as we have no agreement, I believe the best is not to talk.
Will Francis Coquelin leave?
It’s a possibility but nothing is decided.
Will he go to West Ham?
No. We have no contact with West Ham.
On Alex Iwobi
If that is true he will be fined. It’s impossible to go out 48 hours before the game. It’s unacceptable. I will have to see him.
It was not the night before the game. It was 48 hours. But it’s not acceptable, I will speak to him about it. When you read what is reported it’s like he has taken drugs, he is not involved in that at all. He was out a birthday party. I will decide what happens.
If your neighbour takes drugs what can you do? You are responsible for your own actions, not your neighbours.
On winning the League Cup
I would love to win it. We are now in the semi-final. There is still a long way to go.