Arsenal boss Wenger praises former youth academy graduate Ainsley Maitland-Niles
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has hailed 20-year-old youth academy graduate Ainsley Maitand-Niles as the future of the club.
The long-serving Frenchman praised the highly-rated East Londoner after playing every minute of the last two Premier League matches against West Ham United and Newcastle United.
With the Gunners set to face David Moyes side for the second time in six days, Wenger spoke glowingly of the versatile former Arsenal youth who has been at the club since he was nine.
He said: “I believe he is the future. He can play left back, right back, central midfield. Of the three positions, maybe the least natural for him is left back, but he adapts very quickly and is a good defender.
“He has that sense of one against one, he is very strong, he is very quick, he has very quick recovery runs when he comes back.
You may also want to watch:
“He has some aspects to learn: experience and he has to work on his heading.
“But overall, what he has done in the last [week] is positive.”
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension