Arsenal boss Wenger tells his team ahead of North London derby against Spurs: Keep calm to prosper
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has spoken ahead of Saturday’s eagerly-awaited North London derby against bitter rivals Spurs at the Emirates.
The long-serving Gunners manager is an old hand at these type of games and understands the passion generated by both sets of fans – but is calling for a cool head from his men.
Speaking at the club’s training base London Colney he cautioned his team to keep calm to prosper.
He said: “First of all there’s always pride involved, the desire to beat your opponent like all the neighbours in the world have.
“It’s always a fierce derby. As well to keeping your nerve, you must have full commitment while being lucid and calm enough to focus on the game.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s one of the fixtures that is very important for us and that we want to win, as well because in the table we have to make some ground up on the top teams.
“At home we have been very strong and our home strength will certainly be vital to decide where we finish at the end of the season.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
“I think Tottenham are a good side but we have the quality to win this game and that’s what we want to show.”