Arsenal boss Wenger: Watford penalty was not foul
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was adamant the penalty awarded to Watford should not have been given during his side’s disappointing defeat at Vicarage Road.
The Gunners slipped to a tame 2-1 loss against Marco Silva’s team after going into the break 1-0 up following a headed goal from Per Mertesacker on 39 minutes.
Brazilian Richarlison went down in the box after tangling with Hector Bellerin. But there was minimal contact. Troy Deeney stepped up to slot the penalty home before Tom Cleverely grabbed a last-minute winner.
Speaking after the loss that saw the Hornets move to fourth place Wenger said: “It wasn’t a penalty.
“The decision was wrong and that’s it.
You may also want to watch:
“It was at a moment in the game where it was absolutely important.
“We missed many chances to win the game. We should have won the game.”
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 3 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run