Arsenal boss Wenger: Watford penalty was not foul
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was adamant the penalty awarded to Watford should not have been given during his side’s disappointing defeat at Vicarage Road.
The Gunners slipped to a tame 2-1 loss against Marco Silva’s team after going into the break 1-0 up following a headed goal from Per Mertesacker on 39 minutes.
Brazilian Richarlison went down in the box after tangling with Hector Bellerin. But there was minimal contact. Troy Deeney stepped up to slot the penalty home before Tom Cleverely grabbed a last-minute winner.
Speaking after the loss that saw the Hornets move to fourth place Wenger said: “It wasn’t a penalty.
“The decision was wrong and that’s it.
You may also want to watch:
“It was at a moment in the game where it was absolutely important.
“We missed many chances to win the game. We should have won the game.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault