Arsenal boss Wenger: We weren’t composed enough
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Read what Arsene Wenger had to say about the 3-3 draw against Liverpool on Friday evening at the Emirates.
Should you have held on?
Yes. That’s the frustration of the night. But on the other hand it could have been game over at half-time because we had a nightmare first half.
We played too far from each other and weren’t composed enough. At half-time we could have been punished more, Mane had a chance just before half-time.
I must give credit to the players because even at 2-0 we didn’t give in, we showed again great spirit and came back.
You may also want to watch:
It’s true that I’m frustrated that after coming back to 3-2 we couldn’t keep the result, but what can you say? It was a fantastic game with quality going forward on both sides.
Us more on quick combinations, them more with fantastic counter attacking face - that’s why it was always an exciting game.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
Were you tempted to park the bus at 3-2?
I don’t know what you mean by parking the bus, I don’t know who created this expression. It has not a lot to do with football.
We defended well, but with their quality going forward they can always score a goal. I hoped we could score one as well.
In the second half we were not so much in trouble, but they have quality everywhere going forward - It’s difficult to say you can guarantee that you won’t concede a goal.
What did you say at half-time?
I will keep that private a little bit. But I just think the positive thing was we were only 1-0 down.
We played too deep, too far from each other. We had to push higher up and support our strikers more. Play with the handbrake off.
We were too much trouble on long balls because we didn’t have the composure to get the ball down and play.
Should Cech have saved the third goal?
I would have loved it yes, but i think he had a good game. I don’t know if he could have done better there, but overall I think he had a good game.
Was Monreal injured?
Yes, ankle problem.
Were you surprised Oxlade-Chamberlain was booed
Surprised? I’m 20 years in England so I’m not surprised. But overall I don’t think it was too loud.
On Ozil - He had a good game, any progress on his contract?
Ozil had a good game tonight. The second part of your question I can’t answer.