Arsenal Carabao Cup Final countdown: Pep Guardiola is ‘desperate to win’ says Manchester Evening News City expert Charlotte Duncker
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
With Arsenal set to face Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City in the Carbao Cup final at Wembley on Sunday Layth Yousif talked to Manchester Evening News football writer Charlotte Duncker who covers the Etihad outfit. Read on for her expert views.
Manchester City will be looking to put the disappointment of the FA Cup defeat behind them and there’s no better way for them to do that then with victory at Wembley.
All talk of a quadruple is now off but the players will be determined to come out on top in the other three competitions. If anything the result against Wigan should spur them on to victory.
From the team’s Guardiola’s selected so far in the competition he’s taken it seriously and it’s no surprise given he’s yet to win a trophy at City.
They’re nailed on to win the Premier League and it’s a case of when rather than if that’s going to happen but he’ll be desperate to get off the mark and clinch that first title, even if it is a trophy which is dismissed by many managers.
Undoubtedly he’s going to play his strongest side with the exception of Bravo in net. Ederson’s clearly the better keeper but I think he’s going to stick with Bravo who’s played the rest of the competition.
The only other decision he’s going to have to make is who to start at left back because both of his first choice options in Mendy and Delph are ruled out.
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 9 'Robot' prisoner locked up indefinitely for killing Serco custody officer
- 10 Protesters march in final attempt to prevent incinerator contract
The team I think will start against Arsenal will be:
Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Zinchenko
Fernadinho, Silva, KDB
Sterling, Aguero, Sane
Arsenal’s defence as a unit is what City will be targeting. Wenger’s side have looked good going forward, especially since the additions they made in the January transfer window but there’s been some very shaky defending from them this season.
Everyone knows how devastating City can be going forward and if they allow Kevin De Bruyne to run the show they really could be punished.
I predict a narrow City win.
Follow Manchester Evening News football writer Charlotte on Twitter @CharDuncker