Arsenal charity tournament brings football fever to Finsbury
- Credit: Archant
Football fever took over Islington as a charity tournament sponsored by Arsenal stormed Finsbury Leisure Centre.
16 amateur teams battled it out for the trophy at the Norman Street event organised by Oxjam Islington. Oxjam involved local pubs to promote the tournament and register five-a-side teams.
Organiser Barry Causton said: “Lots of people said they would come back next year. What we would love to do is start an Islington pub league to encourage community spirit.”
“I also want to say a big thanks to Samir Singh from Arsenal for Communities.”
The winners of the Oxjam Islington Cup and a tour of Emirates Stadium were In-effectivo Madrid comprised of entrants from Islington Council.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament was one of a number of events happening in the lead up to the Oxjam Islington Festival in October which hosts a number of gigs in various venues across the borough in one night.
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 8 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Islington district seal victory over Camden