Arsenal charity tournament brings football fever to Finsbury
- Credit: Archant
Football fever took over Islington as a charity tournament sponsored by Arsenal stormed Finsbury Leisure Centre.
16 amateur teams battled it out for the trophy at the Norman Street event organised by Oxjam Islington. Oxjam involved local pubs to promote the tournament and register five-a-side teams.
Organiser Barry Causton said: “Lots of people said they would come back next year. What we would love to do is start an Islington pub league to encourage community spirit.”
“I also want to say a big thanks to Samir Singh from Arsenal for Communities.”
The winners of the Oxjam Islington Cup and a tour of Emirates Stadium were In-effectivo Madrid comprised of entrants from Islington Council.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament was one of a number of events happening in the lead up to the Oxjam Islington Festival in October which hosts a number of gigs in various venues across the borough in one night.
- 1 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 2 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 3 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 4 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 5 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 6 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 7 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 8 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 9 Islington’s leisure services and libraries start re-opening as lockdown eases
- 10 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player