Arsenal charity tournament brings football fever to Finsbury
- Credit: Archant
Football fever took over Islington as a charity tournament sponsored by Arsenal stormed Finsbury Leisure Centre.
16 amateur teams battled it out for the trophy at the Norman Street event organised by Oxjam Islington. Oxjam involved local pubs to promote the tournament and register five-a-side teams.
Organiser Barry Causton said: “Lots of people said they would come back next year. What we would love to do is start an Islington pub league to encourage community spirit.”
“I also want to say a big thanks to Samir Singh from Arsenal for Communities.”
The winners of the Oxjam Islington Cup and a tour of Emirates Stadium were In-effectivo Madrid comprised of entrants from Islington Council.
The tournament was one of a number of events happening in the lead up to the Oxjam Islington Festival in October which hosts a number of gigs in various venues across the borough in one night.
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 Poorer households in Islington could see council tax cut
- 5 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 6 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 7 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 8 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 9 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
- 10 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election