Arsenal charity tournament brings football fever to Finsbury
- Credit: Archant
Football fever took over Islington as a charity tournament sponsored by Arsenal stormed Finsbury Leisure Centre.
16 amateur teams battled it out for the trophy at the Norman Street event organised by Oxjam Islington. Oxjam involved local pubs to promote the tournament and register five-a-side teams.
Organiser Barry Causton said: “Lots of people said they would come back next year. What we would love to do is start an Islington pub league to encourage community spirit.”
“I also want to say a big thanks to Samir Singh from Arsenal for Communities.”
The winners of the Oxjam Islington Cup and a tour of Emirates Stadium were In-effectivo Madrid comprised of entrants from Islington Council.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament was one of a number of events happening in the lead up to the Oxjam Islington Festival in October which hosts a number of gigs in various venues across the borough in one night.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire