Arsenal chief scout tells Wenger to sign £2m Greek starlet Konstantinos Mavropanos
- Credit: Sky Sports
Arsenal are closing in on their first signing of the January transfer window, with the club set to agree a £2m deal for Greek central defender Konstantinos Mavropanos from PAS Giannina, according to reports.
The 20-year-old has become a regular for the Super League side this season and has been identified by new chief scout Sven Mislintat.
The former Borussia Dortmund scout has links to the player’s agent through BVB defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos.
Reports claim the Athens-born U21 international had a medical in London this week – and should a deal go through, he is expected to be sent on loan to Bundesliga side Werder Bremen in order to continue his development.
Olympiakos also reportedly held an interest in the centre-back but it would appear the Gunners have beaten the 44-time Greek champions to Mavropanos’ signature.
The 20-year-old will be the second Greek player to sign for Arsenal, following in the footsteps of Stathis Tavlaridis, who played eight games for the North Londoners between 2001 and 2004.
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 5 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 6 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 7 'Robot' prisoner locked up indefinitely for killing Serco custody officer
- 8 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 9 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 10 No More Red: Arsenal and Islington campaign against knife crime