Arsenal chief scout tells Wenger to sign £2m Greek starlet Konstantinos Mavropanos
- Credit: Sky Sports
Arsenal are closing in on their first signing of the January transfer window, with the club set to agree a £2m deal for Greek central defender Konstantinos Mavropanos from PAS Giannina, according to reports.
The 20-year-old has become a regular for the Super League side this season and has been identified by new chief scout Sven Mislintat.
The former Borussia Dortmund scout has links to the player’s agent through BVB defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos.
Reports claim the Athens-born U21 international had a medical in London this week – and should a deal go through, he is expected to be sent on loan to Bundesliga side Werder Bremen in order to continue his development.
Olympiakos also reportedly held an interest in the centre-back but it would appear the Gunners have beaten the 44-time Greek champions to Mavropanos’ signature.
You may also want to watch:
The 20-year-old will be the second Greek player to sign for Arsenal, following in the footsteps of Stathis Tavlaridis, who played eight games for the North Londoners between 2001 and 2004.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 6 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Islington dog stars in film that will be shown at London Film Festival
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London