Arsenal confirm Monreal exit
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal have confirmed the departure of defender Nacho Monreal to La Liga side Real Sociedad in a permanent transfer.
The Spanish left-back was signed by former boss Arsene Wenger in January 2013, joining from Malaga, and went on to make 250 appearances for the Gunners, scoring 10 goals.
Monreal won three FA Cups, three Community Shields and helped the club reach the Europa League final last season.
He also played a central defensive role for the club and was part of the Spain squad at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
He leaves Emirates Stadium before the closure of the European transfer window on Monday and a statement on the Arsenal club website said: "We would like to thank Nacho for his contribution to the club and everyone at Arsenal wishes him the best for his future."
You may also want to watch:
*Arsenal are set to host Tottenham in the north London derby on Sunday (4.30pm), with German international Mesut Ozil available for the first time this season following safety concerns after an attempted car-jacking and illness.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern