Arsenal court Gunners hero Marc Overmars for new role of technical director after Sven Mislintat announces departure date
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
With Arsenal head of recruitment Sven Mislintat set to leave the club next month speculation is rising former Gunners hero Marc Overmars is being courted by the club.
The former Dutch winger who won the double with the North London giants in 1998 is being sounded out by representatives of the club w3ith a view to filling the new role of technical director.
The North London giants are interested in Ajax’s director of football after head coach Unai Emery and Mislintat failed to gel.
The club hope the former Barcelona wideman can finally solve the thorny issue of player recruitment which has bedevilled the Emirates outfit for more than a decade.
Overmars, 45, has earned critical acclaim within the game for his excellent work at the Dutch giants for six seasons.
You may also want to watch:
The wideman who earned 86 caps for Holland between 1993 and 2004, scoring 17 goals has been responsible for the development of Dutch starlets such as Frenkie de Jong, Matthijs de Ligt and Justin Kluivert, as well as the recruitment of Christian Eriksen.
Arsenal’s departing head of recruitment clashed with Arsenal’s director of football Raul Sanllehi over the decision to install a technical director at the club – a coveted job Mislintat insisted he should have been given.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 5 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
His failure to land the role led to the former chief scout and head of professional football at Borussia Dortmund announcing his departure from Arsenal on Monday lunchtime.
For the latest on Arsenal follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29