Arsenal defender Sokratis: The last word on beating Spurs as he eyes Manchester United clash
- Credit: Picture: MARTYN HAWORTH
Arsenal defender Sokratis has been speaking about the North London derby. Read on for what he said about the dramatic victory as well as looking ahead of the trip to Manchester United on Wednesday.
On beating Spurs:
I think it was the best performance of the season. I think today we were much better. We lost our concentration for 10 minutes after 30 minutes of the game. In the first half and second half we were much better and could have scored more goals. I think today there was only one team on the pitch.
It was tough. The derbies are like this. It was very important for us that we won but it’s more important the next game. If we want to continue and believe we have to play like this in the next games. We need to improve sometimes but today we were much better.
If you see the game they did just two things. Maybe we also have to be in these two situations when we conceded. I speak about everyone in general. After our penalty we also had chances to score. It’s very good that when we go down that we continue.
You may also want to watch:
We play much better than the beginning and I’m very happy that the points are coming because sometimes you play very good and the points don’t come. I hope that we continue on this road.
On containing Harry Kane:
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 4 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 10 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
He’s a very good player, of course. He’s one of the best strikers in the world - but not today.
On Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang:
I know Aubameyang more than five years, he’s a great player and in the Bundesliga he scored more than 25 goals every year so he’s a very good player. It’s good that maybe sometimes we speak for the other so we’re more concentrated and do our work. Auba is a good player and if you have a good team next to you then it’s not so difficult.
On the North London derby compared to Bundesliga derbies:
Of course in Germany you used to have the derby with Dortmund against Schalke. Today was a great atmosphere, very good game – I like it, I’m very happy that I played in one game like this.
On Lucas Torreira and Granit Xhaka:
Lucas is a very good player also and a very good guy. I think he’s also very important for our team. It’s the same for Granit, they know when they have to go and when they have to stay which makes it more easy for us at the back.
Looking forward to the trip to Old Trafford to play Manchester United:
It’s a short time to recover but we need to stay strong and move forward.
On playing three at the back against Spurs:
I think it’s good. It’s something new because this team doesn’t usually play with three at the back. We don’t have to find excuses, we are professional players, we are at this level and when the coach says we have to play with four, three or five we have to be there.
On Arsenal head coach Unai Emery:
He’s very happy. It’s very good because he speaks a lot to us every day. All the stuff with the work and video analysis is very good for the players and helps us a lot.
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29