Arsenal defensive duo won’t be fit for Chelsea clash
Chelsea v Arsenal, Saturday October 29, 12.45pm (Sky)
Arsene Wenger admitted that neither of his injured full-backs are likely to recover from injury in time to figure at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
Kieran Gibbs and Carl Jenkinson both missed the win over Stoke City at the weekend and the 2-1 Carling Cup win over Bolton on Tuesday night, and are also set to miss the trip across London on Saturday.
Gibbs injured a stomach muscle in the recent win over Sunderland and has missed the following four games, while Jenkinson picked up a knee injury in Marseille last week and is also still sidelined.
"It looks unlikely that they will be available for the Chelsea game," admitted Wenger.
With first-choice right-back Bacary Sagna ruled out until the new year with a broken leg, Johan Djourou will once again be asked to deputise as he did against Stoke. This time, however, he is likely to have to deal with the threat of Chelsea's Spanish summer signing Juan Mata.
Andre Santos will continue at left-back in place of Gibbs, with the Brazilian having now made four first-team starts and appearing to be adapting to the pace of the Premier League after his move from Fenerbahce.
- 1 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 4 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 5 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 8 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 9 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 10 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
Wenger did however have some good news over midfielder Jack Wilshere, ruled out January following ankle surgery.
"Everything is going to plan with Jack," confirmed Wenger. "The next steps will be to have a scan but he is on track."
For all the latest Gunners news follow us on twitter @ArsenalFC_Lon24