Arsenal defensive duo won’t be fit for Chelsea clash
Chelsea v Arsenal, Saturday October 29, 12.45pm (Sky)
Arsene Wenger admitted that neither of his injured full-backs are likely to recover from injury in time to figure at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
Kieran Gibbs and Carl Jenkinson both missed the win over Stoke City at the weekend and the 2-1 Carling Cup win over Bolton on Tuesday night, and are also set to miss the trip across London on Saturday.
Gibbs injured a stomach muscle in the recent win over Sunderland and has missed the following four games, while Jenkinson picked up a knee injury in Marseille last week and is also still sidelined.
"It looks unlikely that they will be available for the Chelsea game," admitted Wenger.
With first-choice right-back Bacary Sagna ruled out until the new year with a broken leg, Johan Djourou will once again be asked to deputise as he did against Stoke. This time, however, he is likely to have to deal with the threat of Chelsea's Spanish summer signing Juan Mata.
Andre Santos will continue at left-back in place of Gibbs, with the Brazilian having now made four first-team starts and appearing to be adapting to the pace of the Premier League after his move from Fenerbahce.
- 1 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 3 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 4 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 5 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 6 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 7 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Wenger did however have some good news over midfielder Jack Wilshere, ruled out January following ankle surgery.
"Everything is going to plan with Jack," confirmed Wenger. "The next steps will be to have a scan but he is on track."
For all the latest Gunners news follow us on twitter @ArsenalFC_Lon24