Arsenal duo in England squad
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal Women duo Beth Mead and Jordan Nobbs have been named in the England squad for for the FIFA World Cup 2019 qualifying tie away to Russia on Friday June 8.
In their last meeting, the Lionesses earned a 6-0 home win against Russia last year and will be confident heading into the return fixture.
Phil Neville said on TheFA.com: “This is a great opportunity to take a giant step towards our goal of making it to the finals in France next year.
“We know from recent experience that teams are wary of our attacking threat and we expect Russia to be no different.
“We will have to be ruthless when opportunities come our way, but it is important we remain patient, focused and calm until they do.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone is in positive mood about the challenge ahead and wants to end the season on a high.
“We had a number of players at St. George’s Park earlier this week for some extra training, and it was good to get a look at some of the younger players who are pushing hard for inclusion in the senior squad.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
“We already have a youthful feel but I won’t be afraid to give more a chance next season.”
A win against Russia would move England on to 16 points in the qualifying group, with only the group winners qualifying automatically and play-off matches being held between the top four runners-up among all seven groups.