Arsenal duo inspire England Under-21 success
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal duo Eddie Nketiah and Reiss Nelson proved the difference for England Under-21s as they started their European Championship qualification campaign with a 3-2 win over Turkey on Friday.
It only took four minutes for Nketiah - who is on loan to Leeds this season - to put the three Lions ahead, before the hosts reacted with goals through Dogukan Sinik and Mert Muldur.
However, on 74 minutes Phil Foden was the creator as he threaded a pinpoint pass to Nketiah just inside the penalty area and the striker made no mistake in firing into the net.
With Turkey still reeling about the equalising goal they had just conceded, England went 3-2 up a minute later when Nelson netted what proved to be the winning goal with a stinging low shot that may have taken a deflection off a Turkish defender.
The hosts had a goal ruled out for offside as they searched for an equaliser, but England held on for the three points.
You may also want to watch:
England Under-21s had a poor summer after being knocked out of the European finals in the group stage, but manager Aidy Boothroyd played a large pool of new talent on Friday.
They go again on Monday as they go in search of keeping their winning start alive against Kosovo in Hull.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey