Arsenal duo inspire England Under-21 success
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal duo Eddie Nketiah and Reiss Nelson proved the difference for England Under-21s as they started their European Championship qualification campaign with a 3-2 win over Turkey on Friday.
It only took four minutes for Nketiah - who is on loan to Leeds this season - to put the three Lions ahead, before the hosts reacted with goals through Dogukan Sinik and Mert Muldur.
However, on 74 minutes Phil Foden was the creator as he threaded a pinpoint pass to Nketiah just inside the penalty area and the striker made no mistake in firing into the net.
With Turkey still reeling about the equalising goal they had just conceded, England went 3-2 up a minute later when Nelson netted what proved to be the winning goal with a stinging low shot that may have taken a deflection off a Turkish defender.
The hosts had a goal ruled out for offside as they searched for an equaliser, but England held on for the three points.
You may also want to watch:
England Under-21s had a poor summer after being knocked out of the European finals in the group stage, but manager Aidy Boothroyd played a large pool of new talent on Friday.
They go again on Monday as they go in search of keeping their winning start alive against Kosovo in Hull.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 8 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run