Arsenal exit for Theo Walcott as he signs for Everton in £20m deal
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Everton have completed the signing of Theo Walcott from Arsenal in a deal worth £20 million on a three-and-a-half year contract.
Walcott is Sam Allardyce’s second signing of the January transfer window after he paid £27m for striker Cenk Tosun from Besiktas.
Walcott 28, had been at Arsenal since he joined as a raw 16-year-old from Southampton in January 2006.
Yet despite scoring more than 100 goals the wideman has not lived up to his true potential shown in glimpses, most notably during the opening months of the 2013-14 season until a ligament injury in the North London derby four years ago this January curtailed his progress.
An Arsenal spokesman said; “We all thank Theo for his contribution to the club and wish him well for the future.”
The pacy winger scored his first goal for the club in the 2007 League Cup final against Chelsea and became only the 18th player in the history of the North London giants to hit 100 goals when he netted in a 2-0 win over Sutton United at Gander Green Lane in the FA Cup fifth round in February 2017.
Toffees boss Sam Allardyce is a firm believer he can get the best out of the England international at Goodison Park.
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 5 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 6 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 7 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 8 London among areas where drought is declared
- 9 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 10 'An air fryer is this season's must-have for low-fat recipes'
Walcott, who had 18 months remaining on his contract, has scored 108 goals in 397 appearances for Arsenal but boss Arsene Wenger has not picked him regularly this term.
Arsenal are set to use the funds to buy Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Bordeaux forward Malcom.
The North Londoners are also hoping to sign Manchester United midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan in a deal which would involve Alexis Sanchez going the other way after previous suitors Manchester City dropped out of the running.
Allardyce had been quoted as saying Walcott would be a ‘fantastic addition’ to the Merseysiders as he looks to snap him up.
One player Wenger has offered a new deal to is Jack Wilshere but the offer is worth less than his current deal and is greatly incentivised.