Arsenal face Manchester City in FA Cup semi final – as fears grow over fixture pile up
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Arsenal were handed a tie against Manchester City in tonight’s FA Cup semi-final draw.
With Arsene Wenger looking to win the trophy for a record seven times – a feat no-one has achieved in more than 150 years of competition – his team were picked out of the hat to face Pep Guardiola’s City moments after Chelsea beat Manchester United in the remaining FA Cup quarter final.
Arsenal, having beaten minnows Lincoln City 5-0 on Saturday in the quarter finals of the tournament, will now play at Wembley on the weekend on April 22/23.
Wenger’s side will now see their Premier League match against Sunderland – scheduled for that weekend – moved.
The postponement will raise concerns of a fixture pile-up as Arsenal already have to rearrange matches at Southampton and at home to Leicester with limited space in the calendar before Easter.
You may also want to watch:
With an international break coming up on the final weekend of March, after West Brom away on Saturday and a midweek clash with West Ham United already pencilled in for midweek in the first week of April – as well as the Gunners facing Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Monday, April 10, the fear is none of the three games will be rearranged until last April – certainly not with Middlesbrough away on the evening of Easter Monday preceding the cup clash.
In the other tie Chelsea play Spurs on the same weekend.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade