Arsenal fans in Emirates stadium charity fun-run
- Credit: Alan Walter
Hundreds of Arsenal fans dressed as superheroes completed six laps of the Emirates stadium on Saturday to raise money for the club’s work to transform the lives of young people across the world.
The annual Be a Gunner. Be a Runner. charity fun-run, in aid of The Arsenal Foundation, also saw thousands of fans in supporters’ groups from 30 countries, including Bangladesh, Belarus, Hungary, India, Poland, Singapore and the USA running for the cause.
In China alone, more than 2,000 runners took part across 26 different cities – while a children’s race in which young fund-raisers completed one or two laps of the Gunner’s Holloway stadium preceded the adult event.
The first boy past the post in the one-lap race was James Smeaton (aged 6), who was closely followed by Emily Morley (aged 5), the first girl past the finishing line. George Leffman (aged 14) took the trophy in the two-lap race, while Elodie Soteriou (aged 10) was the first girl across the line.
Sixteen-year-old Jacob Hine, was the first male to complete the 6.4km route, crossing the finishing line in 26mins 15secs while the fastest woman was Elizabeth Grant, completing the run in approximately 32 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
All funds raised from the event, which are still being tallied up, will go to The Arsenal Foundation, which aims to transform the lives of young people in the UK and overseas through a range of education and sport initiatives, including those of Arsenal’s global charity partner, Save the Children.
- 1 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 6 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 7 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week