Arsenal fans respond furiously to Sam Allardyce slamming Unai Emery
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sam Allardyce has launched an astonishing attack on Arsenal boss Unai Emery – prompting a furious respoonse from loyal Gunners fans.
The former Everton boss – who was sacked by the Toffees earlier this year – aimed an outspoken tirade at the new Gunners head coach after Premier League champions Manchester CIty won 2-0 at the Emirates on Sunday.
Allardyce, who has long had an agenda against the North London giants according to many fans, labelled Emery’s tactics ‘stupid’ calling them ‘utter rubbish’.
The 63-year-old was sacked by England in September 2016 after one match in charge following a newspaper investigation claiming he offered advice on how to ‘get around’ rules on player transfers.
An FA statement issued at the time described his behaviour as ‘inappropriate’.
You may also want to watch:
However, Allardyce, who has been sacked five times in total during his managerial career, and has never won a trophy, heavily criticised Emery and the Gunners.
He told talkSPORT: “It’s the manager’s fault.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
“Don’t ask somebody to do against Man City what you shouldn’t do. You shouldn’t play out like that against Manchester City.
“What do Manchester City do? They press, press, press so why do you try and play out when they press, press, press?
“Even the Arsenal crowd cheered when he [Cech] dropped one in the opposition’s half.
“We are getting obsessed with this stupid ‘let’s play out from the back, split the centre halves either side of the 18-yard box and go and play from there’… it’s utter rubbish to play like that all of the time.
“When you’re the best at it [like City] then you can do it.”
Allardyce – who had a win ratio of only 29 per cent when boss of Sunderland, achieving 33 per cent during his time at Newcastle – drew a furious response from Gunners supporters.
Loyal, long-term Arsenal fan Jon Sage responded to the bizzare outburst by telling the Islington Gazette: “It’s laughable how such a loser like Allardyce can slag off Arsenal when he’s won nothing as a top flight manager.
“He’s always had a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Arsenal and his latest comments are pathetic.”