Arsenal ‘fight’ pleases Maitland-Niles after Gunners win Premier League opener
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ainsley Maitland-Niles was pleased with Arsenal’s ‘fight’ in their 1-0 win over Newcastle, and to set up Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s winner. Read on to see what he had to say following the victory in their first Premier League game of the new season.
On how pleasing it was to start with a win away…
"It's a hard match against Newcastle, especially away.
"They're a team that can mix it up - they can play nice football and play long balls. It's just a fight until the last whistle."
On if he was surprised to see Aubameyang in so much space for the winner…
You may also want to watch:
"On a big pitch like this, you can get tired, and I guess that's what happened with their defence.
"It was a big opportunity for me to give it t him, I executed it well and his finish won us the game."
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
On knowing Auba would score…
"Yeah, I expect him to score.
"Him, Lacazette, Nico Pepe, Mkhitaryan - we've got good players that can score. We're never in doubt when people are through on goal."
On if the new signings can lift the club to another level…
"Yeah, of course. We were very close to getting in the top four last season.
"We missed out by one point and this season we're hoping to rebuild ourselves and fight until the last day of the season."