Arsenal forward Danny Welbeck makes England squad for Russia World Cup but Jack Wilshere misses out
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal forward Danny Welbeck has been included in Gareth Southgate’s England World Cup squad after the Three Lions boss announced the line-up on Wednesday afternoon.
The 27-year-old who has started 23 matches for the Gunners this season as well as appearing as substitute a further 18 times, netting ten goals has long been considered a player that Southgate rates highly, despite his less than prolific goalscoring record.
Despite the former Manchester United attacker only notching five goals in the Premier League it is his all-round play and off the ball work and excellent attitude as much as his striking rate that appeals to Southgate.
However, Jack Wilshere, another Arsenal player who had high hopes of going to Russia, missed the cut as England opted for the more inexperienced Ruben Loftus-Cheek as part of the five midfielders picked by Southgate.
You may also want to watch:
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.
Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 5 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 6 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 8 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 9 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 10 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.
Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.
Stand-by: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livermore and Adam Lallana.