Arsenal forward Danny Welbeck makes England squad for Russia World Cup but Jack Wilshere misses out
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal forward Danny Welbeck has been included in Gareth Southgate’s England World Cup squad after the Three Lions boss announced the line-up on Wednesday afternoon.
The 27-year-old who has started 23 matches for the Gunners this season as well as appearing as substitute a further 18 times, netting ten goals has long been considered a player that Southgate rates highly, despite his less than prolific goalscoring record.
Despite the former Manchester United attacker only notching five goals in the Premier League it is his all-round play and off the ball work and excellent attitude as much as his striking rate that appeals to Southgate.
However, Jack Wilshere, another Arsenal player who had high hopes of going to Russia, missed the cut as England opted for the more inexperienced Ruben Loftus-Cheek as part of the five midfielders picked by Southgate.
You may also want to watch:
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.
Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.
- 1 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.
Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.
Stand-by: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livermore and Adam Lallana.