Arsenal: Gunners tie Mohamed Elneny down to new long-term deal
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Egypt midfielder Mohamed Elneny has signed a new long-term contract with Arsenal.
The 25-year-old joined from Basel in January 2016 and has since made 65 appearances for the Gunners. The length of his new deal was not disclosed.
“We’re pleased to announce that Mo Elneny has signed a new long-term contract with the club,” Arsenal said.
Boss Arsene Wenger said at the start of the season: “He is a fantastic boy, we love him here. His best years are in front of him.
“It took him some time to adapt to the intensity of the games and I think he was not aggressive enough for the Premier League (initially). But now he has added that to his game.”
You may also want to watch:
Elneny has scored two goals for the Gunners, in his first campaign in a 3-1 loss at Barcelona, and this season in December’s 6-0 win over Bate Borisov.
Elneny began his senior career with El Mokawloon in Egypt’s top flight before moving to Switzerland with Basel in 2013.
- 1 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
During his time with the Swiss heavyweights, Elneny won the Swiss Super League four times.
Already in his two years with Arsenal. the midfielder has won the FA Cup, as well as the Community Shield.
He was in the Egypt squad which qualified for this summer’s World Cup for the first time in 28 years.
It looks set to be a big summer ahead for Elneny with his country, who are in Group A.
The Pharaohs are joined their group by competition hosts Russia, Saudi Arabia and Uruguay.
Egypt begin their campaign in Yekaterinburg on June 15 when they face Uruguay.
Four days later, Elneny and his countrymen will tackle Russia in Saint Petersburg.
Egypt finish their group stage matches on June 25 when they play Saudi Arabia in Volgograd.
Elneny will hope he can play a large part in any success for the Pharaohs in Russia this summer.
And if the midfielder is to have a successful World Cup campaign, he will hope he can take that form back to Arsenal as he looks to break into the starting XI on a regular basis.