Arsenal: Gunners tie Mohamed Elneny down to new long-term deal
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Egypt midfielder Mohamed Elneny has signed a new long-term contract with Arsenal.
The 25-year-old joined from Basel in January 2016 and has since made 65 appearances for the Gunners. The length of his new deal was not disclosed.
“We’re pleased to announce that Mo Elneny has signed a new long-term contract with the club,” Arsenal said.
Boss Arsene Wenger said at the start of the season: “He is a fantastic boy, we love him here. His best years are in front of him.
“It took him some time to adapt to the intensity of the games and I think he was not aggressive enough for the Premier League (initially). But now he has added that to his game.”
You may also want to watch:
Elneny has scored two goals for the Gunners, in his first campaign in a 3-1 loss at Barcelona, and this season in December’s 6-0 win over Bate Borisov.
Elneny began his senior career with El Mokawloon in Egypt’s top flight before moving to Switzerland with Basel in 2013.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
During his time with the Swiss heavyweights, Elneny won the Swiss Super League four times.
Already in his two years with Arsenal. the midfielder has won the FA Cup, as well as the Community Shield.
He was in the Egypt squad which qualified for this summer’s World Cup for the first time in 28 years.
It looks set to be a big summer ahead for Elneny with his country, who are in Group A.
The Pharaohs are joined their group by competition hosts Russia, Saudi Arabia and Uruguay.
Egypt begin their campaign in Yekaterinburg on June 15 when they face Uruguay.
Four days later, Elneny and his countrymen will tackle Russia in Saint Petersburg.
Egypt finish their group stage matches on June 25 when they play Saudi Arabia in Volgograd.
Elneny will hope he can play a large part in any success for the Pharaohs in Russia this summer.
And if the midfielder is to have a successful World Cup campaign, he will hope he can take that form back to Arsenal as he looks to break into the starting XI on a regular basis.