Arsenal have not approached me says Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone as Diego Costa trains with squad at the Emirates
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Diego Simeone has revealed he has not been approached by Arsenal to replace departing boss Arsene Wenger. The Atletico Madrid boss speaking at the Emirates on Wednesday evening also shared news of the fitness of dangerman Diego Costa.
The Atleti boss has been long admired by Arsenal fans for the style and success he has brought to his sides.
However, the former Argentina boss denied he had been approached by the Gunners hierarchy as a replacement for Wenger.
When asked directly if he had been approached by Arsenal, Simeone replied: “No I haven’t spoken with anyone at Arsenal. I love Madrid.”
The former Chelsea striker Diego Costa trained on the Emirates turf on Wednesday evening, despite doubts about his fitness.
You may also want to watch:
The Buenos Aires-born 47-year-old refused to be drawn on Costa’s availability for the crucial Europa League semi-final second leg.
When pressed he replied: “We’ll speak with the medical team and Costa. I won’t look to make Diego happy or whatever suits me [in terms of Costa playing]
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 7 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 8 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 9 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 10 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
“We know football is a sport that is in constant flux. It depends on the level of focus you have. Real life starts when the referee blows his whistle...
Simeone did take time to praise Arsene midfielder Mesut Ozil saying: “Ozil has incredible vision.
“He manages the speed of transitions at Arsenal - if he wants his team to play quickly he will....It’s up to us to make it the kind of game we want to have - and be brave.”