Arsenal head coach Unai Emery opens up on Lucas Torreira after 3-2 win at Cardiff
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Unai Emery has been talking about new midfielder Lucas Torreira after his side’s 3-2 victory over Cardiff City in South Wales on Sunday. Read on for Layth Yousif’s post-match report.
Emery spoke about the former Sampdoria midfielder after the Gunners first away win of the season to make it two victories from the last two matches.
An entertaining match high on attacking endeavour but low on defensive discipline saw the visitors pick up three points on the road.
An 11th minute Shkodran Mustafi goal was cancelled out by an excellent strike from Victor Camarasa on the stroke of half-time.
The Gunners went 2-1 up through Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang before Danny Ward levelled for Neil Warnock’s side.
You may also want to watch:
Emery’s visitors regained the lead with nine minutes remaining through a powerful near-post finish by Alexandre Lacazette.
However in the build up to Camarasa’s goal, Granit Xhaka gave the ball away cheaply after a weak cross-field pass before the home side broke with Joe Bennett whipping a cross into a crowded box for the 24-year-old on loan Real Betis attacker to fire home.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
Uruguay international Torreira, who replaced the raw Matteo Guendouzi with 20 minutes left claimed an assist after he fed the former Lyon striker for the winner with nine minutes to go.
Emery had this to say about the impressive defensive midfielder: “He’s improving. He is getting to know his teammates.
“For me, all the minutes he is playing is important for his performance.
“He needs to continue working. But it’s very important for me to think about others players, Matteo has started well and Xhaka is very important.
“We need good players. Lucas is like that.”
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29