Arsenal boss Unai Emery reveals he is yet to choose his first choice goalkeeper
- Credit: Archant
New Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has been speaking about the club’s goalkeepers during his first press conference at London Colney.
With the former PSG boss landing the highly-rated £25 million signing Bernd Leno from Bayer Leverkusen speculation is growing as the to future of Petr Cech and David Opsina.
Under Arsene Wenger Cech was considered the No1 choice for Premier League matches while Colombian Ospina was the Frenchman’s ‘cup keeper’.
The 46-year-old was asked at the club’s training HQ on Thursday his views on the situation.
He replied: “I want to work with Petr Cech, with Bernd Leno, with Emiliano Martinez, with Matt Macey, with [David] Ospina.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s clear that we have [a lot] of goalkeepers but we want to work in the future with three goalkeepers in the first team.
“Now, I want to look, I want to work every day with all the goalkeepers and then I am going to decide for [who is No 1].”
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Emery was also asked if he would be seeking advice from Wenger on the players he has inherited, including the net minders.
The former Sevilla coach who has been taking intensive English lessons as well as having his squad train twice a day replied: “Each coach needs to know the players.
“Not all the coaches have the same relationship with a player and I have my personality.
“I want to know with my direct opinion, with my direct conversations with the player.
“I have information on the players for the club, from the people around me.
“The information with Arsène is also important for me but the best is my direct relationship and conversations with the players.”
Follow Gunners reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29 and join the Islington Gazette Arsenal Facebook page for more.