Arsenal head coach Unai Emery on Danny Welbeck’s ‘serious’ injury
- Credit: Picture: MARTYN HAWORTH
Downbeat Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has been discussing the distressing injury to striker Danny Welbeck.
Arsenal drew 0-0 against Sporting Lisbon in a scrappy Europa League match that will only be remembered for a serious injury to Danny Welbeck.
The 27-year-old required oxygen after falling badly on his ankle in the 25th minute.
Such was the distressing scene a number of his team-mates had to look away before the popular striker was carried off to applause from the whole of the shocked Emirates.
Speaking after the match which saw the Gunners qualify for the knock-out stages, a saddened Emery said: “He was working well and having a good match. When you play football it can happen. We don’t want that...it is a serious injury.
You may also want to watch:
“He break in the ankle something...He’s a very good person. He has a very big comittment with us. This injury is a very big injury for us and him.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter