Arsenal head coach Unai Emery on Danny Welbeck’s ‘serious’ injury
- Credit: Picture: MARTYN HAWORTH
Downbeat Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has been discussing the distressing injury to striker Danny Welbeck.
Arsenal drew 0-0 against Sporting Lisbon in a scrappy Europa League match that will only be remembered for a serious injury to Danny Welbeck.
The 27-year-old required oxygen after falling badly on his ankle in the 25th minute.
Such was the distressing scene a number of his team-mates had to look away before the popular striker was carried off to applause from the whole of the shocked Emirates.
Speaking after the match which saw the Gunners qualify for the knock-out stages, a saddened Emery said: “He was working well and having a good match. When you play football it can happen. We don’t want that...it is a serious injury.
You may also want to watch:
“He break in the ankle something...He’s a very good person. He has a very big comittment with us. This injury is a very big injury for us and him.”
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020