Arsenal head coach Unai Emery reveals Laurent Koscielny will be club captain for 2018-19
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has been speaking ahead of the eagerly-awaited clash against Premier League champions Manchester City at the Emirates on Sunday. Gunners reporter Layth Yousif was at London Colney to hear the former PSG boss preview the match as well as reveal who will be the North Londoners official captain for the season.
Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has revealed injured centre-half Laurent Koscielny will be Arsenal’s club captain for the 2018-19 season.
The French defender has been sidelined with a serious achilles injury sustained in the second leg of the Europa League semi-final against Atletico Madrid in early May – but the former Lorient defender has been given a vote of confidence by his boss.
There had been suggestions Koscileny, who was vice-captain last term behind Per Mertesacker, would not be considered for the role due to his long-term injury.
However, the former PSG boss dispelled any notions the armband would be given to another senior player.
You may also want to watch:
Ahead of Sunday’s eagerly-awaited Premier League opener against Manchester City at the Emirates Emery confirmed Koscielny – despite not being available for selection until the end of the year at the earliest – will be skipper.
Emery said: “He’s injured, but he [Koscielny] is captain of this group.”
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
However, Emery has insisted all summer whoever he chose as his leader on the pitch would be accompanied by a cohort of senior professionals.
Emery, speaking at London Colney on Friday shared the names of the other players he expects to help with leadership duties
He added: “I told the players, it is Petr Cech, Aaron Ramsey, Mesut Ozil and Granit Xhaka.
“In my career I have always wanted leaders in the team, representation for all the players.
“I also think they are in the team more.
“Leaders who will show this capacity during the season. So these five players are in this possibility to be the captains.”