Arsenal icon Tony Adams – Wenger can’t teach how to defend
- Credit: Archant
‘Mr Arsenal’ Tony Adams met Archant’s Layth Yousif for an exclusive interview this week and was as honest and passionate as ever as he reflected on his time at the club and gave his forthright views on this season’s team.
Speaking to Archant’s Arsenal reporter Layth the defensive rock offered his opinion on the club’s poor start to the season under Arsene Wenger.
The legend, who made 669 appearances for the club and lifted the league title in three different decades, has been digesting the side’s disappointing start.
And Adams has been alarmed at a lack of defensive discipline, culminating in the 4-0 humiliation at Anfield, and believes the long-serving Frenchman has failed to
address a malaise at the heart of the backline.
Attempting to explain Arsenal’s poor start to the season he said: “I love The Arsenal. I love the fans and that love was returned by me as a player.
“I spent a long time at the club and enjoyed every minute. I wouldn’t change a thing about my time at Arsenal.
- 1 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 4 Covid patients in north London hospitals with Plan B rules set to lift
- 5 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 8 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 9 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 10 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
“What is happening on the pitch at the moment is very sad. I hope they can sort things out. But it’s a very different club to the one I played for.
“It’s really simple. I just think Arsene should have brought someone in to concentrate on the team – as financially they are doing well.
“That’s all you needed. Someone to come in and teach players how to defend.
“Hector Bellerin will be the same player in five years as he is now because he’s not been brought on by Wenger.
“You need someone to come in and teach players like Rob Holding – who can be a very good player – to defend.
“And Per Mertesacker even and Laurent Koscielny how to defend.
“And in the past you needed someone to come in and teach Kieran Gibbs how to defend.
These kind of guys. Phil Senderos. To teach Gael Clichy how to defend.
“You can keep going with the names of players.
“Arsene buys them, puts them in – but he doesn’t develop defenders.
“It doesn’t matter if they’re British or not. It’s working with players to develop them.
“It’s about working with players to develop them.”
Buy Tony Adams and Ian Ridley’s book Sober published by Simon and Schuster.