Arsenal legend David Seaman expects Petr Cech to challenge Bernd Leno for No1 spot
- Credit: Archant
Former Arsenal goalkeeper David Seaman insists Petr Cech can still challenge new signing Bernd Leno for the No1 spot.
The Gunners legend believes Cech – who has been linked a return to Chelsea – retains the quality to push the £20 million signing from Bayer Leverkusen.
Leno is expected to start the season at Unai Emery’s first choice Arsenal keeper, but Seaman thinks the veteran shot-stopper still has something to offer.
Speaking to the Islington Gazette at the publicity launch of the Arsenal Legends match Seaman said: “He has still got great qualities and it isn’t like he has had a bad season or anything, he still produced.
“He is getting older but your game adapts, that is what I found, you might not be as sharp as what you used to be but your experience gets you into the right positions.”
You may also want to watch:
Seaman also expects Arsene Wenger’s former ‘cup keeper’ David Ospina to leave the club following Leno’s arrival, but wants Matt Macey to become third choice.
The Colombian, who failed to stop England beating his country on penalties in a tight clash in round two that went the distance at the World Cup, is understood to be weighing up a move away from the Emirates, with Turkish side Besiktas a posibility.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
Seaman said: “I don’t think Ospina would be quite happy being a number two because he has been that for quite a while.
“You would think, they’d develop [Matt Macey] to take that number three slot but we don’t know what is going to happen yet, nothing has been said.
“What is interesting is that Cech has taken the number-one jersey so I think he is expecting to be around for a while.”
Arsenal Legends v Real Madrid Legends, Emirates Stadium, Saturday, September 8, kick-off 2pm.
To buy tickets visit arsenal.com.