Arsenal legend David Seaman to Unai Emery: Take the Europa League seriously
- Credit: Archant
The Europa League is an important competition which Unai Emery should take seriously says Arsenal legend David Seaman.
The former Gunners keeper insists the club should attempt to win the tournament in a bid to boost the club’s attempt to restore itself at the top level of domestic football.
With Emery’s side drawn against Sporting Lisbon, Azerbaijan’s Qarabag and FC Vorskla Poltava from Ukraine, attention turns to the start of the group stages after the international break later this month.
Seaman, who lifted the European Cup Winners Cup under George Graham in 1994 while reaching the final a year later, understands the value of attempting to win continental silverware.
Seaman was speaking ahead of the Arsenal Legends charity match against Real Madrid on Saturday at the Emirates to raise funds for the many worthy projects the club’s foundation promotes and supports around the world as well as North London.
You may also want to watch:
The much-loved shotstopper nicknamed ‘Safe Hands’ said: “The Europa League is going to be massive for Arsenal.
“Any tournament we are in we need to do well in because we are coming off the back of a season where we didn’t really push in any tournament.
- 1 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Letter: Saving green spaces from development
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
“We’ve got to hit the ground running [in an attempt to win the trophy].”
Arsenal reached the semi-finals of the Europa League last term under former manager Arsene Wenger, before losing 2-1 on aggregate to Diego Simeone’s eventual trophy winners.
After two defeats in their opening two matches this term against champions Manchester City and Chelsea, Emery’s side have beaten West Ham at the Emirates before clinching their first away win of the season in a hard fought 3-2 victory at Cardiff City on Sunday.
Seaman added: “We’re a little bit behind certain clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea [domestically] and we don’t need to give any more ground away.”
The club’s U21 side will take on Coventry City at the Ricoh in the Checkatrade Trophy on Wednesday before travelling to Newcastle United in a return to Premier League action a week on Saturday
You can see David Seaman and others including Robert Pires, Ray Parlour and Nigel Winterburn play for Arsenal Legends v Real Madrid Legends at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday, kick-off 2pm.