Arsenal legend hails Gunners defensive duo as ‘the perfect blend’
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny have been labelled “the perfect blend” after stretching their undefeated run as a defensive pairing to almost two years.
Following Monday’s 2-1 win at Aston Villa, Arsenal have not lost a single league game that has featured Mertesacker and Koscielny in tandem for the entire 90 minutes since January 2012.
In fact, Christian Benteke’s consolation goal was only the second time the Gunners have conceded in their last six games – and Arsenal legend Bob Wilson has hailed the Mertesacker-Koscielny partnership as a major factor in their overall improvement at the back this season.
“The defence as a unit has definitely got better,” said the former Gunners goalkeeper. “That is because they have played together for a while now.
“Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker are the perfect blend. Per was getting criticised when he first came to the club, but I have always defended him.
“The stats don’t lie and he regularly wins more headers than any other centre- half in the league.
“In addition, Kieron Gibbs is magnificent and is unlucky that Leighton Baines is in front of him for England. Kieron is now better than the other left-back who used to play for us (Ashley Cole).
- 1 Islington's Tory councillor calls for low traffic neighbourhoods to be scrapped
- 2 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 3 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 4 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
- 5 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 6 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 7 Gong bathing comes to Holloway, Dalston and Stoke Newington
- 8 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 9 Residents to quiz council over homes at Holloway Prison site
- 10 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
“Bacary Sagna has been absolutely terrific too, and we also have Carl Jenkinson coming through. Carl clearly loves playing for Arsenal and is blossoming – his devastating crosses are a big weapon and he has great pace too.
“I think [assistant manager] Steve Bould has had more than an influence on the defence. I don’t know that for sure – I am not at the training ground to watch his sessions – but I just smell it.”
The strength of the partnership between Mertesacker and Koscielny is such that Gunners club captain Thomas Vermaelen has been unable to force his way back into the side since returning from injury.