Arsenal legend hails Gunners defensive duo as ‘the perfect blend’
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny have been labelled “the perfect blend” after stretching their undefeated run as a defensive pairing to almost two years.
Following Monday’s 2-1 win at Aston Villa, Arsenal have not lost a single league game that has featured Mertesacker and Koscielny in tandem for the entire 90 minutes since January 2012.
In fact, Christian Benteke’s consolation goal was only the second time the Gunners have conceded in their last six games – and Arsenal legend Bob Wilson has hailed the Mertesacker-Koscielny partnership as a major factor in their overall improvement at the back this season.
“The defence as a unit has definitely got better,” said the former Gunners goalkeeper. “That is because they have played together for a while now.
“Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker are the perfect blend. Per was getting criticised when he first came to the club, but I have always defended him.
“The stats don’t lie and he regularly wins more headers than any other centre- half in the league.
“In addition, Kieron Gibbs is magnificent and is unlucky that Leighton Baines is in front of him for England. Kieron is now better than the other left-back who used to play for us (Ashley Cole).
- 1 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 2 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 3 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 4 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 5 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 6 Husband granted right to use late wife's embryo for surrogacy
- 7 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 8 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 9 Actors present prizes at Islington Education Awards 2022
- 10 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
“Bacary Sagna has been absolutely terrific too, and we also have Carl Jenkinson coming through. Carl clearly loves playing for Arsenal and is blossoming – his devastating crosses are a big weapon and he has great pace too.
“I think [assistant manager] Steve Bould has had more than an influence on the defence. I don’t know that for sure – I am not at the training ground to watch his sessions – but I just smell it.”
The strength of the partnership between Mertesacker and Koscielny is such that Gunners club captain Thomas Vermaelen has been unable to force his way back into the side since returning from injury.