Arsenal legend Ray Parlour believes fan apathy and empty seats forced Arsene Wenger out
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal Invincible legend Ray Parlour has been speaking about his former boss, Arsene Wenger. Read on for what the former Gunner had to say about the long-serving Frenchman who said this week he had ‘regrets’ over staying at the club for 22 years.
Former Arsenal midfielder Rat Parlour has revealed the reason he thinks Arsene Wenger left the North London giants.
When asked what was the real reason which caused the long-serving Frenchman to leave Arsenal after 22 years as boss Parlour didn’t pull any punches.
Parlour explained that he thought Wenger had outstayed his welcome.
He said: “There were a couple of occasions, after FA Cup wins, when maybe he could have gone but he genuinely loved the club.
“Arsenal made the decision to give him a new two-year contract [in May 2017] but in the end the fans not turning up was the major factor.”
The much-loved Parlour had been talking at a launch event at the Emirates on Tuesday for the Arsenal Legends against Real Madrid Legends at the Emirates on September 8.
- 1 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 2 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 3 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 4 Whittington Hospital's landmark incinerator chimney to be dismantled
- 5 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 6 Emma Thompson and Sir Ian McKellen line up to play Whodunnit detectives
- 7 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 8 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 9 Covid patients in north London hospitals with Plan B rules set to lift
- 10 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
Arsenal Legends v Real Madrid Legends, Emirates Stadium, Saturday, September 8, kick-off 2pm.
To buy tickets visit arsenal.com.