Arsenal legend Ray Parlour believes fan apathy and empty seats forced Arsene Wenger out
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal Invincible legend Ray Parlour has been speaking about his former boss, Arsene Wenger. Read on for what the former Gunner had to say about the long-serving Frenchman who said this week he had ‘regrets’ over staying at the club for 22 years.
Former Arsenal midfielder Rat Parlour has revealed the reason he thinks Arsene Wenger left the North London giants.
When asked what was the real reason which caused the long-serving Frenchman to leave Arsenal after 22 years as boss Parlour didn’t pull any punches.
Parlour explained that he thought Wenger had outstayed his welcome.
He said: “There were a couple of occasions, after FA Cup wins, when maybe he could have gone but he genuinely loved the club.
You may also want to watch:
“Arsenal made the decision to give him a new two-year contract [in May 2017] but in the end the fans not turning up was the major factor.”
The much-loved Parlour had been talking at a launch event at the Emirates on Tuesday for the Arsenal Legends against Real Madrid Legends at the Emirates on September 8.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
Arsenal Legends v Real Madrid Legends, Emirates Stadium, Saturday, September 8, kick-off 2pm.
To buy tickets visit arsenal.com.