Arsenal legend set for surprise return to the Emirates
Record goalscorer Thierry Henry will be back in N5 for the 2011 Emirates Cup with New York Red Bulls
Arsenal have announced the line-up for this summer’s Emirates Cup, and the eye-catching news is a return to north London for Gunners legend Thierry Henry.
The annual four-team tournament will this year take place on the weekend of July 30/31 and joining the Gunners at the Emirates this year will be Henry’s Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls, leading French club Paris Saint-Germain and Argentinian giants Boca Juniors.
Emirates Cup 2011 kicks-off at 2pm on Saturday July 30 with Henry’s New York Red Bulls taking on Paris Saint-Germain, followed at 4.20pm with the hosts Arsenal playing Boca Juniors.
Sunday’s fixtures also start at 2pm, when Paris Saint-Germain take on Boca Juniors. Arsenal and New York Red Bulls will bring the competition to a climax, kicking off the final match at 4.20pm on Sunday afternoon.
Teams will be awarded three points for a win and one point for a draw. The competition also rewards attacking play, with teams being awarded one point for each goal they score. In addition, shots on target will be counted and will be used to decide the tournament winners if teams are level on points and goal difference.
Arsenal’s chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, said: “We’re delighted and proud to once again be hosting the Emirates Cup this summer. Over the previous four years, the Emirates Cup has proved to be an overwhelming success and a thoroughly enjoyable weekend of football.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 6 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 7 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 8 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
- 9 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 10 Young stars of the design world celebrated at awards
“New York Red Bulls, Boca Juniors and Paris Saint-Germain are three clubs with great players and huge followings, and they are sure to make Emirates Cup 2011 a hugely exciting weekend of football. Also, I’m sure all Arsenal fans will be looking forward to welcoming back Thierry Henry – a true Arsenal legend.”