Arsenal legend set for surprise return to the Emirates
Record goalscorer Thierry Henry will be back in N5 for the 2011 Emirates Cup with New York Red Bulls
Arsenal have announced the line-up for this summer’s Emirates Cup, and the eye-catching news is a return to north London for Gunners legend Thierry Henry.
The annual four-team tournament will this year take place on the weekend of July 30/31 and joining the Gunners at the Emirates this year will be Henry’s Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls, leading French club Paris Saint-Germain and Argentinian giants Boca Juniors.
Emirates Cup 2011 kicks-off at 2pm on Saturday July 30 with Henry’s New York Red Bulls taking on Paris Saint-Germain, followed at 4.20pm with the hosts Arsenal playing Boca Juniors.
Sunday’s fixtures also start at 2pm, when Paris Saint-Germain take on Boca Juniors. Arsenal and New York Red Bulls will bring the competition to a climax, kicking off the final match at 4.20pm on Sunday afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Teams will be awarded three points for a win and one point for a draw. The competition also rewards attacking play, with teams being awarded one point for each goal they score. In addition, shots on target will be counted and will be used to decide the tournament winners if teams are level on points and goal difference.
Arsenal’s chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, said: “We’re delighted and proud to once again be hosting the Emirates Cup this summer. Over the previous four years, the Emirates Cup has proved to be an overwhelming success and a thoroughly enjoyable weekend of football.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
“New York Red Bulls, Boca Juniors and Paris Saint-Germain are three clubs with great players and huge followings, and they are sure to make Emirates Cup 2011 a hugely exciting weekend of football. Also, I’m sure all Arsenal fans will be looking forward to welcoming back Thierry Henry – a true Arsenal legend.”