Looking back: Arsenal lift Cup Winners’ Cup in 1994
- Credit: PA
Alan Smith was Arsenal’s matchwinner as George Graham’s Gunners beat holders Parma 1-0 to lift the 1994 Cup Winners’ Cup in Copenhagen.
Arsenal went into the final without leading goalscorer Ian Wright, who missed out through suspension.
But they could depend on a rock-solid back four of Lee Dixon, Tony Adams, Steve Bould, Nigel Winterburn, in front of England keeper David Seaman, to keep Parma at bay.
Tomas Brolin hit a post early on before Smith grabbed what turned out to be the only goal of the game, beating Luca Bucci with a left-foot volley after a mishit clearance by Lorenzo Minotti in the 20th minute.
With a lead to defend Arsenal never looked in much trouble and Gianfranco Zola and Faustino Asprilla were well shackled.
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal had won their quarter-final and semi-final home second legs 1-0 and ‘One-nil to the Arsenal’ rang out in the Parken Stadium as the Gunners ground out another narrow win.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 4 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 7 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 8 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing