Looking back: Arsenal lift Cup Winners’ Cup in 1994
- Credit: PA
Alan Smith was Arsenal’s matchwinner as George Graham’s Gunners beat holders Parma 1-0 to lift the 1994 Cup Winners’ Cup in Copenhagen.
Arsenal went into the final without leading goalscorer Ian Wright, who missed out through suspension.
But they could depend on a rock-solid back four of Lee Dixon, Tony Adams, Steve Bould, Nigel Winterburn, in front of England keeper David Seaman, to keep Parma at bay.
Tomas Brolin hit a post early on before Smith grabbed what turned out to be the only goal of the game, beating Luca Bucci with a left-foot volley after a mishit clearance by Lorenzo Minotti in the 20th minute.
With a lead to defend Arsenal never looked in much trouble and Gianfranco Zola and Faustino Asprilla were well shackled.
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal had won their quarter-final and semi-final home second legs 1-0 and ‘One-nil to the Arsenal’ rang out in the Parken Stadium as the Gunners ground out another narrow win.
- 1 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Letter: Saving green spaces from development
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Islington shooting victim named