Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere reveals Arsene Wenger told him he could leave club
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal and England midfielder Jack Wilshere has revealed Arsene Wenger told him he could leave the club last summer.
The 26-year-old who is on international duty with England explained the details of the ‘honest conversation’ between himself and the Arsenal boss before the start of this season.
Wilshere said: “He gave me the opportunity [to leave] with three or four weeks left in the transfer window.
“He said, ‘I am going to be honest with you and at the moment we are not going to be offering you a contract, so if you can get a contract somewhere else, you can go’.”
At the time of the pair’s discussion, Wilshere had returned from a loan spell at Bournemouth designed to improve his all-round fitness and provide much-needed first-team action.
You may also want to watch:
“I did not find anything that I wanted and at the same time I was not really fit, so I decided that I wanted to stay and build up my fitness”, added Wilshere.
“It was boiling up for a while because everybody knew I had a year left on my deal and I had been out on loan, got injured, and wasn’t really in his plans.”
- 1 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 6 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
Speculation is rising the Hitchin-reared star could leave the Emirates this summer, as he heads into the final months of his contract with sources close to the player indicating they are unhappy with the offer the Gunners have put on the table.