Arsenal on verge of capturing Blackburn centre-back Christopher Samba
Arsene Wenger closes in on his first major signing of the summer
Arsenal are closing in on their second signing of the summer with the �12 million capture of Blackburn Rovers centre-back Christopher Samba.
Twenty-seven year old Samba was a target for the Gunners during the January transfer window, and Arsene Wenger is expected to re-open talks with the Lancashire club this week as he attempts to further strengthen his under-fire defence.
Wenger is intent on building a partnership between 6ft 4in Samba and Thomas Vermaelen, as Arsenal seek to end their long trophy drought next season.
He has already moved to bolster Arsenal’s backline with the addition of highly-rated Finnish Under-21 star Carl Jenkinson last Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
But the Arsenal boss missed out on another target, with Phil Jones turning down a move to the Emirates to agree a move to Premier League champions Manchester United after the Under-21 European Championship.
Wenger is known to be a huge admirer of Congo international Samba, who would add power and muscle to a defence which was too often lightweight last season.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire