Arsenal on verge of capturing Blackburn centre-back Christopher Samba
Arsene Wenger closes in on his first major signing of the summer
Arsenal are closing in on their second signing of the summer with the �12 million capture of Blackburn Rovers centre-back Christopher Samba.
Twenty-seven year old Samba was a target for the Gunners during the January transfer window, and Arsene Wenger is expected to re-open talks with the Lancashire club this week as he attempts to further strengthen his under-fire defence.
Wenger is intent on building a partnership between 6ft 4in Samba and Thomas Vermaelen, as Arsenal seek to end their long trophy drought next season.
He has already moved to bolster Arsenal’s backline with the addition of highly-rated Finnish Under-21 star Carl Jenkinson last Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
But the Arsenal boss missed out on another target, with Phil Jones turning down a move to the Emirates to agree a move to Premier League champions Manchester United after the Under-21 European Championship.
Wenger is known to be a huge admirer of Congo international Samba, who would add power and muscle to a defence which was too often lightweight last season.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 Club Curling comes to Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross
- 9 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'